Vaccinations / Flu Shots in Sterling Heights, MI
What are vaccinations?
Vaccinations are a powerful preventative tool used by doctors to reduce the risk of patients developing various illnesses. Vaccines are made up of substances that encourage the body to create antibodies through controlled exposure to a killed or weakened organism. As a result, these antibodies produce immunity in the body against that organism, thus reducing your chances of developing certain diseases. A family medicine physician can provide various types of vaccines that help people to build immunities to common health conditions, such as the flu or sexually transmitted infections. Tri-County Medical Clinic in Sterling Heights, MI offers preventative care that includes a wide range of vaccinations and seasonal flu shots. To receive your vaccinations, schedule an appointment using the form on this page.
What types of vaccines are available?
Vaccines available at Tri-County Medical Clinic include:
- Flu shots
- DTaP vaccine (diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis)
- Td vaccine (booster to the DTaP vaccine)
- IPV vaccine (inactivated poliovirus)
- MMR vaccine (measles, mumps, and rubella)
- Varicella vaccine (chickenpox)
- Zostavax vaccine (shingles)
- HBV vaccine (hepatitis B virus)
- HPV vaccine (human papillomavirus)
- Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (bacterial meningitis)
- Pneumococcal / Prevnar vaccine
Who should get vaccinated?
Vaccines are an important element of preventative healthcare. Our team of family medicine physicians is here to guide our patients about which vaccines you need and when they should be administered. At Tri-County Medical Clinic, we not only provide the common childhood vaccinations, we also can make certain recommendations for patients who are seniors, who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, who have certain health conditions, or who may be traveling out of the country.
What are the advantages of getting vaccinated?
Vaccines offer a number of benefits, which include:
- Prevent the development of serious and life-threatening diseases
- Prevent the spread of diseases to loved ones and others outside your family and friends
- Avoid the financial toll associated with developing vaccine-preventable diseases (e.g. missed work, medical bills, long-term disability care)
- Most vaccines are covered by insurance
What is a flu shot?
Flu shots, or influenza shots, are vaccines that protect against the influenza virus. Because the virus is constantly changing, a new version of the flu vaccine is developed each year. Seasonal flu shots are available at Tri-County Medical Clinic.
Who should get a flu shot?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that individuals who are at least 6 months of age or older should have the flu vaccine. Individuals who are at a higher risk of complications from the virus are especially encouraged to get the flu vaccine. These people include:
- Pregnant women or those living with pregnant women
- Individuals who have a suppressed immune system
- Older adults (50 or older)
What are the advantages of getting a flu shot?
Benefits of getting a flu shot include:
- Lowers chances of needing hospitalization due to the flu
- Prevents extra doctor visits and missed work
- Reduces severity of the flu if the virus is contracted
To learn more about vaccinations and flu shots offered at Tri-County Medical Clinic or to schedule an appointment, call our office today at (586) 979-5100, ext. 1. You may also use the form on this page to send an inquiry directly to our Sterling Heights, MI office.